Monday, September 27, 2010

Rocket Nerds

For his birthday in May, Emily gave Parker a rocket set (for lack of a better word!!). He was super excited about it and one look at it told me it was probably going to be best for his good friend, former teacher, and fellow rocket nerd, Ms. Estes, to help his build, paint, and launch his rocket.

Now it took the better part of the summer to actually find the time to methodically complete each step of the rocket. I must admit, it was much more involved than I thought!

Here's the beginning . . . lots of pieces!!

Here's the rocket after everything is glued together . . . lots of drying time!!

And here she is painted, and ready for launch!!


The following pic is what is an incredibly important part of the process, I'm sure!! Though I'm not entirely certain, I think it is where Emily connected the little tiny jumper cable-like-things to the part where it would blast the rocket off!! (See now why Emily should help him with this??)

The future NASA engineer with the controls and ready for blast-off!!


The head engineer gives the ok



I wish I had a picture of the crowd, mostly children, hiding in the playground equipment at Blue Haze!! We were all a little nervous about what was actually going to happen and we didn't want to lose any body parts or faculties by an erratic rocket!!


The countdown began and . . . watch for yourself!!




No comments: