Monday, November 30, 2009

Projects, projects

School has been going really well so far this year. It's hard to believe that in three short weeks, the year will be half over!! Crazy!!

I haven't been posting much because I couldn't find the cord that connects my camera to the computer; thus I haven't been able to upload anything!! The funny thing is that the cord was right here in the office all the time! Awesome organizational skills I have!!

Anyway, Alex and Parker did a couple of cool projects a few weeks ago and I wanted to document them here.

First up, Alex had to do a model of how blood flows through the heart, showing the oxygenated and deoxygenated blood. I was really proud of Alex as he did this project pretty much without any help. I really like things like this because I think the kids get a much better idea of how it actually works than just doing in on paper. After he did this project, he had a great understanding of how the heart works.


Parker has been studying Mesopotamia for a good part of the year and he was presented with a list of projects to create and he chose to build a Mesopotamian Ziggurat. The funnest part of this project was to see people's reactions when he told them he was building a ziggurat....definitely not something you come across every day.


Being the insightfully creative person I am, I sent Parker to spend a couple of days with his Poppy so that they could, together, create the ziggurat of their dreams!! And boy, did they not disappoint!!





This was really, super cool when they finished it and I was surprised at how Parker just jumped right in and wanted to learn about this ancient structure. He has a great time learning/building this little project.

One of my favorite parts of this project was the very end when Parker got out the Sharpie to draw on the lines and write a cool title. His first attempt was crazy . . . all over the place and not neat AT ALL!! So, we covered that up with his picture of the model they used and started again! The next time was a little better until he starts writing in big bubble letters right in the middle!! Then he finished it off by writing his little-known nickname - PK - under his real name!! PK?? Seriously?? It almost sent me over the edge, but I kept myself in check and let him express his creativity!!??! His teacher's reaction?? FANTABULOUS!!

Good work guys!!

No comments: