Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Seeking a crown

This morning, as I was taking Parker and Luke to school, we were listening to my ipod. I got to choose the first song because I was the first one ready!! :)

I got to pick the second song too because I was still the only one ready after the first song!!

Anyway, after we listened to one of my new favorite songs (Slow Fade by Casting Crowns) I choose an old song that I was pretty sure the boys had never heard. It was Oh Lord, You're Beautiful by Keith Green. As we listened to it and to Green's unique voice, I explained to them that Keith Green had written a lot of songs but I knew that he had died somehow tragically.

They had some questions, of course, and I really couldn't answer them because I really didn't know that much about him. So, I did some research on the life of Keith Green and was really impressed with his life and the legacy that he has left behind after living only 28 years. Though he struggled spiritually at times, his faith and his ability to consistently turn any praise he received into praise of his God is amazing.

Here is a part of the song I have been singing pretty much all day...loudly at times!!

Oh Lord, you're beautiful,
Your face is all I see,
For when your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me.


I want to take your word and shine it all around.
But first help me to just, live it Lord.
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown.
For my reward is giving glory to you.


How would life be if, when we were doing well, we would never seek a crown, but instead give glory to God and count that as our reward??


Radically different, I'm guessing!

No comments: