Friday, December 5, 2008

Santa from a different angle

Life is semi-crazy around these parts lately. Work is busy with a pretty much full student load. The boys are keeping busy with all their stuff. And, of course, Christmas is knocking on the door and that brings a little extra busy-ness!!

I saw a student this morning, dropped off work at a student's house, ran by 3 schools, stopped by the post office to get the must-have gift that finally arrived, and dropped by a different student's house to finish up some paperwork. I then headed downtown to see one of my fave students who is battling leukemia and has been in the hospital for a week. I saw "J" on Tuesday and she was in a lot of pain, was very uncomfortable, and just not doing very well. So, while I totally wanted to go see her again today, I was a little nervous about seeing her and really hoped that she had made some progress.

When I got there and the nice little volunteer grandma/information person called up to let them know I was coming (she's in isolation so there's a little protocol to follow), she didn't get an answer. I went on up and found her in the playroom working a puzzle with her mom. She was doing MUCH better and seemed so much more herself and I was so thankful! We chatted a bit and she excitedly told me that Santa was coming that afternoon and she was hoping to get a present!! After we talked and puzzled for a while, a Child Life lady came in with a jacket and hat/gloves for her and told her she better head down if she wanted to see Santa. So, she bundled up and off we went.

When we got downstairs, there was already a group of kids/parents/nurses lined along the drive of the hospital. It was such an unusual sight to see all these kids, most of whom had masks to protect them from all the germs, and many of whom were connected to their IV/oxygen poles. They pretty much all looked very sick. From missing hair to gaunt eyes to bandages and bad coughs, they were just sick kids. We had to wait for a few minutes and the kids were growing restless as they talked about how Santa would arrive on a firetruck. Interestingly, many of them knew that Santa normally came in on a helicopter. I wondered how many of them had been hospitalized during the holidays before.

Younger kids started crying and even my sweet little J started wondering if he would really come.

Then, at last, a firetruck turned the corner with lights blazing and SANTA in the front seat!! He had the bullhorn and started hollering HHHOOO HHHOOO HHHOOO!!

Oh.my.goodness! Those kids!! They started screaming and jumping up and down and waving!! It was unlike anything I've ever seen. They simply could not contain their joy!! I wish so badly that I had had my camera!!

Santa and his convoy (2 firetrucks and lots of vans) pulled right up to where we were and unloaded themselves. He had a whole fleet of "elves" with him. These were all grandmother-ly ladies that were dressed to the nines in green dresses and red legs and shoes and bells ALL over them! Their faces were painted up, they had elf ears on, and they were excited!!

Santa started walking down the line of children talking and being so sweet. He spent time with each one of those kids and knew exactly what to ask or say to them. J waited patiently for him and when he finally got to her, he gave her a big hug and asked her how she was feeling. She answered his questions and then before he left her to go to the next child, he asked her, "Has anyone told you lately that you are beautiful??" She thought for a minute, and slowly shook her head "no". To which he said, "Well, you ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!"

I almost cried right there!! I wanted to hug Santa and tell him that he was one amazing Santa!! She was so proud to talk with him and he could not have chosen anything more perfect to say to that sweet girl who has not one strand of hair on her head.

So, today I was reminded that it didn't matter what else I had on my agenda (because I had a few things to do after my visit with J that didn't happen) and with all the little stuff that worries me, I have four HEALTHY children. No masks, no oxygen, no IV's, no bald heads, no constant worries about germs and infections.

And to those people who made a little magic for those sick kiddos today, you ROCK!!

6 comments:

Uncle D and Aunt J said...

Wow, what a blessing you had to get such a perspective. Thanks for sharing and for the tears it brought. It is good to be reminded how blessed we are.

leiGh said...

this is such a sweet story...you are an awesome teacher.

Marla said...

Well, that totally made me cry!! I love that they have such a great Santa and elves come see them. And it certainly makes me look around and realize how lucky I am to have these 4 healthy maniacs, errrr, kids, running around my house this morning.

Thanks for sharing that!

Michelle said...

Great Story! It makes you think about what really is important this time of year.

Shellee said...

seriously crying. i will hug my kids a little tighter and be thankful that they are healthy enough to make messes and be loud and even argue! thanks for reminding me of how fortunate i am!

Emily said...

I guess your blog isn't broken anymore! :) What a cool thing to see. And Leigh is right, you do an amazing job at what you do!