Thursday, February 5, 2009

We're working on our spelling

I've been playing a bit of Scrabble on Facebook (Lexulous, they call it) and sadly, it can be kind of addictive. My Grandma and BigPa actually got us the board game of Scrabble for Christmas and we've played it a time or two.

But Alex has been watching me play on FB, seeing where I'm winning and losing, and tonight he wanted to play a "real game."

So, we got it out and began to play. Alex, Parker, and I, along with Luke's help played more for fun, not keeping score, and allowing for some pretty loose rules. It wasn't chaotic, but it definitely wasn't a structured game of Scrabble.

When the little boys went to bed, Alex asked if just he and I could play again and this time really play right!! So, we did, and I was really surprised at some of the words he came up with. We talked a little strategy and he did pretty well.

My favorite attempt from him, though, was when he tried to use DECA as a word.
I'm like, "DECA?? What do you mean??"
And he says, "deca is a word."
I say, "Like how??"
He says, "You know, like a deca cards!!"
I say, "That would be deck OF cards!!"
He says with a smile, "Oh."

Good times!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

That's funny! Love that kid!

Anonymous said...

My Friend Nikki and I are Scrabble freaks, we aren't any good. We use a scrabble dictionary to help us make words for better scores.
I'm a board game fanactic, Peyton had seemed to picked this trait up from me he got 5 board games for christmas. We play at least twice a week and him and Bert have Uno tournaments that last hours.
I love games!
Great Story!

Marla said...

Haha, that is too funny! Deca, LOL.

I like those games on FB too.

Shane said...

He was probably thinking about the Greek form of 'deca' meaning ten, as in decahedron, a polygon having ten faces. Maybe not!