Wednesday, March 25, 2009

One year already

One year ago today, I received the phone call that would change our lives forever!!

That was dramatic, wasn't it??!?!!

One year ago today, while working with a student, I received a call from the nurse at Luke's GI clinic that he did, indeed, have Celiac Disease. I remember being truly surprised because I think I had convinced myself that that wasn't his problem.


The last year has certainly been an adventure with lots of knowledge gained along the way. I've learned a lot about a disease that I never knew existed. I've learned a lot about a little boy that has to make hard choices everyday and does it with an incredible attitude. We knew when Luke was diagnosed that if someone had to have this, God chose the right little boy. He has been amazing about having so many "good things" taken out of his diet. Thankfully, he has some really great people in his life that get him his very own special things to enjoy.

The future is bright for people with Celiac. More and more foods are becoming gluten free on a regular basis. Just this week I got an email that most of the Chex cereals will be GF by June!! That's awesome news!!

Luke has done well at school this year. He gets to buy his lunch about once a week and absolutely loves doing that! The ladies in the cafeteria are really great about helping us decide what he can have and making him special things.

One year ago, I wasn't really sure how this diagnosis would affect Luke's future. How would he do at school?? As a teenager, would he come to resent these restrictions and fight against them? What would college look like for him?? Would he fall in love with someone who would understand his food issues? (I know...nothing like worrying about the really really long-term stuff!) I now feel much more hopeful about what's to come.

Special thanks goes to my mom who has put in countless hours of researching, searching for recipes, asking questions, planning, and buying special things for Luke. She dove into figuring out this whole celiac thing before I could even comprehend what we were dealing with. She's been huge support and help to me! Thanks, Mom!! Lots of thanks too, to my Grandma and BigPa who keep Luke eating high on the hog!! They bring him things he can only dream of (since I don't buy the expensive stuff!) and are always finding new possibilities for him. We definitely couldn't have had as successful a year as we've had without yall!

So, while Celiac isn't something I would necessarily wish on anyone, it's become our normal and I think I'm finally okay with that!!

4 comments:

Brandy said...

Wow I can't believe its already been a year!! Congrats to Luke (and the family) for adjusting so well! Praying for many more "easy" years!

Shellee said...

Luke is DEFINITELY a champ. And, I'm pretty sure God knew what he was doing when he picked you for his momma! Poor kid would starve to death if he had to depend on someone like me!!

Emily said...

I was just thinking last week about Luke having his biopsy thing during Spring Break last year. Crazy that it's already been a year, but absolutely ditto to what Shellee said. You do an amazing job taking care of Luke and rest of the boys too! :)

deneise said...

hmmmm...seems like a good time to pull out a certain shirt....oh and DITTO!