Wednesday, January 23, 2008

And the Oscar goes to . . .

. . . Parker Ryan!!!

Way to go Parker - Your drama bedtime drama tonight was something stolen straight from a tear-jerker on the big screen!!

Here's the story -

At this point in Parker's young life, pretty much every night he wants to "start" in my bed. This just means he doesn't have to go to sleep in his bed and if he's lucky, he'll get to stay in my bed all night. (not likely!) Tonight was no exception and, as usual, the answer was no.

Parker is known for his antics and ability to draw some drama from no where, especially at bedtime. A couple of weeks ago, after he was put to bed, he managed to dislocate his shoulder (his diagnosis) and that was his second dislocation of the day. His other was the opposite elbow!! Kind of a rough day for dislocations!!

Back to the point - Parker is in bed - the house is quiet. I get a phone call and am talking to someone who really called for Scott. But since he is a fellow Upward coach, we talk about that and how his team killed us last week and how it really wasn't fun for him either!! (sure!!)

Anyway, in comes Parker in full blown sob mode - huge tears running down his face. I'm like - Dude - what's up?? He manages to let me know he'll tell me when I get off the phone (stall tactic #1) I, of course, have NO idea what is going on but assume it must be big to merit those tears. (wrong assumption on my part) I whisper for him to go to my bed until I get off the phone (score 1 for Parker).

When I get off the phone, Parker runs into the kitchen to meet me starting the hysterical crying all over again.

Me: What is wrong?
P: I'm ... just... (sniff sniff) so ... sad ... that (aaaaa hhhh) Pluto's not ... a planet ... anymore!! (sob sob sob)
Me: Are you serious? (empathetically, of course)
P: It was my ...... (sniff) faaaavvvorite planet.
Me: OK??!!??
P: Just because it's small doesn't mean it shouldn't be a planet.
Me: I totally agree but I'm not sure it deserves this much emotion!!?

Anybody know any great places to let this kind of talent flourish??

2 comments:

Shellee said...

hysterical! That kid is a genius. Abbee always goes for the headache/tummy ache...she should take some pointers from her good friend!

Marla said...

Haha. That made me laugh out loud. You gotta admit, Pluto was a cool planet. I think he's ready for Broadway. :)