Sunday, January 27, 2008

Cleaning out

I found myself at home this afternoon with only Luke and Landry and decided it was time to do a little cleaning out in the big boys' rooms. Alex is just messy and Parker is a full-blown packrat/keeper/NEVER throw anything away kind of kid.

Last year on the last day of second grade, Parker had to clean out his locker and brought home no less than 5 sweatshirts that he had worn during the winter!!

Grudgingly cleaning my kids' rooms because I knew they could never do it as good as it really needed to be done, I was taken back to my childhood. I fondly remember my mom begging, pleading, threatening me to clean my room and I guess I just didn't ever do it. I don't remember being a rebellious kind of kid, but I always put off getting my room cleaned.

After my mom would get sick of the begging, pleading, threatening routine, she would spend no telling how long in my room, putting it all back together and making it smell very nice!! I would then come home and feel terrible that my mom had had to clean my room AGAIN and vow that it wouldn't have to happen again. Until the cycle started again!!

Now, here I am cleaning the boys' rooms because I just can't take it anymore!! Alex has been missing a favorite shirt for weeks and I found it today in his shirt drawer - go figure!! Parker had lost his webkinz a couple of weeks ago and I found it today in his closet!! Alex spilled a cup of tea on his dresser last week (no - he's not supposed to have tea in his room) and did a marginally mediocre job of cleaning it up. When I was dusting off his dresser today, it looked like it had been painted with tea and there were 2 trophies that could not be moved because they were stuck with tea!! I managed to pull the smaller one off, but broke it in the process. The other one would NOT budge for anything. Scott finally got his hammer and a work glove and hammered at the base of it until it flew off!! Amazingly, the dresser (handmade by Poppy) came out without a scratch!!

The rooms look much better for now. I'm sure the boys will keep up with them so this little story will never have to be repeated!! :)

1 comment:

Shellee said...

I just did that in Abbee and Jordan's rooms yesterday!!! Same thing! Couldn't take it anymore! And...Abbee and Parker can NOT get married. Two packrats in one house?? Scary!