Friday, August 10, 2007

Tales of the air conditioner

Well, as I have mentioned more than once, it is really heating up here. It is August, after all. We were spoiled early this summer by having at least 40 days and 40 nights of rain. So much rain that we brought ourselves right out of what seemed like a century-old drought. And with the rain came cooler temperatures. Very nice temperatures for us hearty Texans!! Somehow, while we were complaining about the amount of rain, we forgot that if it stopped raining, the triple digit heat would certainly return.

Well, it has stopped raining and the heat is here!! We have yet to "officially" hit the 100 degree mark, but if we get to 99 degrees repeatedly with a 107 degree heat index, does it really make any difference?? It is stifling out there - hot, humid, sticky, nasty, multiple showers per day kind of weather.

So, what better time for the ol' AC in the car to decide not to work? I can't think of a better time of year to have a faulty air conditioner!! I had noticed that it didn't seem to be cooling quite as quickly as I'd like it to, but I could live with it. Yesterday, though, while we were on our way to the pool, it never ever thought about cooling even a little bit. I cracked my windows a little for some relief but got little. The kids were yelling over the noise of the wind, asking me why I was letting the hot air in and the cold air out. I rarely let them roll down the windows in the heat - it just doesn't make sense!! When we finally got to the pool after what seemed like an eternity but was really only about 15 minutes, I opened the car door and feel the sweet, cool 90 degree air hit me in the face!! Boy, did it feel good! That's when I knew we had a problem. When stepping into 90 degree heat feels better than being in your car, it's time to take it to the shop!!

So, that's what I did at the first opportunity today. I didn't want to tell my mechanic, but I think I would have given up huge sums of money and possibly a child to get the AC fixed. It made such a HUGE difference - night and day, really! So, today I'm thankful for an air conditioner that works in the hot Texas sun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.