Saturday, September 22, 2007

Travel, sugar, and negative people

Well, an interesting day it has been!!

Scott and the little boys have made it safely to the land of the north and I'm now a single mom to two boys - crazy!!

I have been in the car the better part of the day it seems, but managed to work in 3 baseball games, a trip to Dallas and back, a walk through the mall, and a trip to Pappasitos. Lots o' fun!!

An interesting thing happened last night. Scott and I took the little boys to Cici's for a "last supper" with mom and a single mom with 3 young boys sat down almost right next to us. Now, this mom was pretty frazzled and shared her frustration with her young sons at every turn. (The boys were about 2,4, and 7 or so.) It seemed that no matter what they did, she had something negative to say and said it with a totally exasperated look/body language. From dropping a cup on the floor to the oldest being responsible for the flies that were around their table, these kids could do nothing right. It made me so sad to watch and to think that that could just as easily be me. (except for the part that I usually don't take more than 2 boys out to a restaurant at a time!!) I was able to kind of reflect on how negativity looks to an outsider, and it wasn't pretty!! It made me want to try harder to be a positive example to the boys, especially when I'm frustrated.

Now the most interesting part of this story occurred when the momma went up to get dessert for everyone. She got a regular plate and filled it up with cinnamon rolls. It looked like a lot, but I thought that was pretty smart so they didn't have to keep going back over and over again. As she put the plate down on the table, one of the boys reached for a cinnamon roll and was immediately stopped by the momma. She put them down on the table, picked up a couple of packets of sugar, and began pouring sugar all over the cinnamon rolls!! I felt my mouth drop open in disbelief!! Those things are so stinkin' sweet, I can't imagine how they would taste with more sugar poured on top - eeeeewwwww!! After they were all eaten, she rounded up all the other sugar packets on the table and stuck them in her bag!! That family must love their sugar!! As for me, I'll never look at a Cici's cinnamon roll the same way again!!


ps - on the way out of the Cici's parking lot, I noticed Taco Bueno is open for breakfast!! Breakfast at Taco Bueno??? Does that sound good to anyone??

No comments: