Monday, June 2, 2008

Changing the world. . . one kiddo at a time!

Tonight I had the privilege of attending the graduation of the high school where I spend my working hours. Throughout the course of this year, I worked with three seniors. One will graduate next December, one graduated at the alternative campus, and the last one, I got to see walk across the stage tonight.

This young man whom I'll call K (since he might not want me blaring his name and story across the web), has climbed the steps up my list of all-time favorite students.

K was in a horrible car accident on October 5, 2007. Though the details make the story more interesting, they aren't necessary here. Suffice it to say that after all the dust had settled, K had had his left leg amputated first below the knee, then above the knee. He had multiple facial fractures and other internal injuries including swelling of his brain, and had lost vision in one eye. He remained in the hospital for a couple of weeks and then in rehab for a few more weeks.

I didn't get to meet K until the week before Thanksgiving when he was finally strong enough to get started on his schoolwork again. I was a little worried going into his house that first day. I never know what to expect when I meet a new student, but there were a lot of stories floating around about K and I wasn't really sure what to believe.

I instantly liked K - he has a quick wit and a great sense of humor. I was amazed by the fact that he almost acted like there was nothing unusual about him - as though he wasn't sitting in a wheelchair, missing a very important part of his body. We talked through his schedule and he promised to do his best and work hard. Somehow, I knew he would, even with a grueling rehab schedule.

One of his assignments was to write a paper on any topic that interested him. He immediately chose to write about a prosthetic leg that he hoped to get one day. As we researched together, I was introduced to a whole new world that I had never really thought about before. This new world was now K's world.

As we spent more days together, he shared with me what he remembered about the accident and how he has processed it. He told me that he had not shed one tear through the whole process - no tears of pain or sadness. His attitude had been only looking forward -never back. He knew he couldn't change one thing about that day because he didn't have the luxury of turning back time. He knew it would do no good to dwell on the what if's of that day. He never harbored any anger or resentment toward anyone, including the driver that fell asleep at the wheel that night.

It took me a while to realize that K was the real deal. At first, I thought he might be putting on a good front for me - kind of keeping a good attitude when it counted. But then I realized that this was real. He was dealing with this life change in such a positive way, such a mature way for such a young boy. I wondered if I found myself in his situation, if I would have handled things as beautifully as he did? He definitely inspired me to think about things a little more - through his perspective.

I got to watch as he worked through his rehab, got fitted for his prosthetic leg, and learned how to get up on his feet again. It was truly an amazing process! Toward the end of the school year, his therapy slowed down and his therapist felt strongly that he should return to school, if only for a little while. Neither of us was really ready for this change - we had both assumed he would stay on Homebound until the end of the year. But as the days went on, all his doctors signed off on his return and he went back about 3 weeks before the end of school.

I was worried about how he'd last all day at school. Of course, he wouldn't even think of returning in his wheelchair. He would return walking and would walk all day every day.

I shouldn't have worried - he did beautifully!! All the worries and concerns melted away as he handled his classes well. Now I can see what a huge boost of confidence returning to school was for him. He had proven once again, that he could do anything he set his mind to. And as he walked across the stage tonight, I know his sweet parents and family could not have been any prouder.

Wednesday finishes my eighth year of teaching Homebound kids. I've had some doozies in those years. I've sat on some of the nastiest couches in the city, smelled like the cheapest cigarettes more times than I can count, seen some of the most deplorable conditions for kids to live in, but I've also had the opportunity to meet some amazing kids. Kids that get beyond the messiness of their lives to make something of themselves.

This young man, K, has inspired me to look beyond the small stuff of my days. When I get down on my life and my issues, I think about doing what I do - minus my left leg!

My good friend, Deneise, and I have always joked when I'm going to see a kiddo. One of us will always say something about me changing the world - one kid at a time. Usually it's done in sarcasm. But with K, I can definitely say that the kiddo changed the teacher!

Congrats to K - he deserves it!!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Very well said! :)

Shellee said...

wow...that's a great story. I needed that story today! And you are changing the world for the better...and not just for your students!

deneise said...

hey...i don't say it sarcastically! you are changing the world and i love you for that!