Saturday, October 11, 2008

The final installment of the garden

Thinking back over my summer posts, it seems my life revolved around swimming and the garden. The pumpkins were definitely a great summer project. They took minimal effort and we all enjoyed watching them grow.

Here is the last picture of the pumpkin season. Sadly, it is missing a couple of the little beauties because Mother Nature has already said "enough" for those two. I kept smelling this horrible smell a couple of days ago and I thought it was coming from the laundry room. My laundry was caught up, but I just couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

Then, Landry comes up and says, "Mom, da pun-tin is blat on the bat!" which, of course, translates to "the pumpkin is black on the back!!" And boy, was he right! One of the pumpkins had totally caved in on the backside with all kinds of interesting colors!! As I checked the rest of them, another one was in even worse shape. It totally fell apart as I was trying to get it outside.


The funny thing is that you couldn't tell at all from the front. I could have taken a picture of them all before I noticed it and you wouldn't have been able to tell that two of them were totally stinking up my house!!

Anyway, here are the remaining few -


I think we had nine when it was all said and done. They looked so big when they were growing, but looking at the huge boxes of pumpkins at Walmart, they are pretty puny!!


Oh well, there's always next year!!

2 comments:

Marla said...

I think those are some super cute pumpkins!! You should be very proud! ;)

Nana said...

I am totally impressed that you grew these pumpkins. I have always bought mine at the grocery store until this year. This year bought 3 fake ones at JoAnn's and they look very real. Andy and Ben thought they were and boy were they surprised when they picked one up.