Monday, October 6, 2008

Grandmas

This is a story about 2 of the world's best Grandmas.

(should that have an apostrophe?? not sure)

Anyway, let me start with my Grandma. Grandma Martin celebrated another birthday this past week. This grandma is one special lady to me. She has taught me lots during my life, spoiled me rotten lots during my life, and has shared a lot of wisdom during my life. So, a little belated, as always, but Happy Birthday Grandma!!


(Just for the record, Big Pa's birthday is this week. When I was a kid, I always thought it was so cool that their birthdays were just days apart! I also remember a period of a few years when I thought Grandma was 52. It didn't matter if she had a birthday, she was still 52 in my mind.

Anyway, Big Pa, hope you have an amazing day!! You are one of the biggest-hearted people I know!! My life has been beyond enriched because of you!!)

Now, moving on to the other special Grandma - the boys' Grandma - aka Scott's mom.

I met this Grandma, though I didn't call her Grandma then, about 17 years ago when Scott and I were dating. Bernadine is an amazing mom to her five kids and an even more amazing Grandma to her 10 grandkids. Even though the distance between her and the boys is great, she is always sending little boxes and doing nice things to keep in touch and let them know she loves them. She is an incredible cook and has an impressive recipe book collection. Although, I might have been more impressed with her spice rack/lazy susan thing. I was looking for a certain spice when Scott and I were up visiting this past May, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her 2 lazy susans filled with McCormick spices!! If I have ever thought of a spice, it was there. If I had never heard of it, it was there too!!

Anyway, Bernadine went in this past Wednesday to have her gallbladder removed and what should have been a routine surgery dramatically morphed into a life-changing experience. The doctor threw out words like 'cancer' and 'Stage 4' and 'not a lot of options'. So, life at Grandpa and Grandma's house has changed. Important decisions need to be made. Wisdom needs to be granted. But most importantly, pleadings on her behalf need to be sent to the One who can heal her. We feel so helpless here - so far away. But prayer is the one thing we can do now and continually. Please pray!!

3 comments:

leiGh said...

oh wow! definitely praying for her and you guys.

and scott looks just like his dad...if that is his dad in the last picture. :D

Uncle D and Aunt J said...

I'll be praying for God's wisdom, grace and healing in this situation.

Marla said...

Awwww, I am sorry for Scott's mom. She will be in my prayers.